Okay, before you say anything, yes I am aware that 13 Reasons Why is a tv show and not a movie, but I couldn’t not talk to you guys about this show after I finished it last week, and again, yes I did wait a week to post about, but thats simply because it took that long for me to get thoughts and emotions about the show in order. So now that I can sit down and properly discuss this show with you, here are several reasons why you should watch 13 Reasons Why.
- Despite the differences, the show does the book justice.
- For those of you have read the book and loved it, do not fret, while they’re are definitley some major differences, the biggest one being that the shows takes place over a couple weeks unlike the book which takes place over the course of one night. You have to expect these differences however, especially considering they were turning a 13 chapter book into 13 hours of television. They stay true to the most important thing however, telling a story that moves and inspires people who go through a lot of the same struggles the characters in the novel go through.
- They Spent Six Years Trying To Get This Show Made
- For those of you who didn’t know, Selena Gomez is the executive producer on the show and has had the rights to it since she was seventeen years old. Since then she and her mom, another executive producer on the show, have been working to make this show happen. Which should tell you how much this show meant to the people that made it. The turned several offers for the book to be made into a film after they realized that they didn’t want to stay true to the story and wanted to water down some of the subject material within the novel, which is the exact opposite of what Jay Asher, the author wanted, as well as Selena.
- It Truly Is Relatable
- Katherine Langford and Dylan Minnette star as Hannah Baker and Clay Jenson, the main characters in the show, and as two relative unknowns, unless you’ve seen Goosebumps or Don’t Breathe then you might know Dylan, they managed to give two of the best small screen performances i’ve seen in years. Their performance, along with the rest of the cast, takes this show away from the realms of cheezy teen shows like Pretty Little Liars and other shows of its kind make a sad attempt at doing. Being relateable. The reasons I say this is because alot of the things you see in the type of shows that Freeform releases, most of thetime when the shows try to be relatable it takes place in situations that are so unreasonable that the situations end up almost being humarous. 13 Reasons Why on the other actually manages to sucessfully interept how difficult it is to be young, and how even the smallest of things can hurt someone. Dealing with topics like suicide, sexual assault, bullying, and other painful experiences that two many people experience, and they don’t hold back in how the show these situations. The show makes you understand how words can hurt, alot more then you may realize, and that you never know whats going on in someone elses life, and that even the smallest of things could be someone elses breaking point. It also shows that your actions can come back to haunt you, and that you should always be kind to others.
I will give you heads up before you watch this show, because if you are between the ages of 15 and 25 you should watch it, there are moments in this shows that are pretty heavy, and it does get difficult to watch at times, but these are situations that need to be talked about. Situations that we need to be constantly remined are taking place to so many people every single day, and even an incredibly well done show like this can get people talking, then I support a hundred percent, and you should too, you never know who it might help.